Sunday, March 05, 2006

NO LA!



Hey y'all!

I made it to the dirrty, dirrty souf! Hooray! Granted, I'm going on like, 3 hours of sleep, but WTF? I'm in NOLA.

First impressions: From the airplane Newalins did not look that fucked up to be honest. True, there were blue FEMA roof tarps, but they covered only every fifth house or so. But perhaps we flew over a less impacted part of the city? I'm pretty sure that's what happened. From the airport to our lodging in the French Quarter, more damage was visible, especially on the taller buildings. Broken windows, missing signs, etc. But, then we passed the Superdome. And I kinda had this strange feeling in my stomach...like I had seen some real fucked up shit go down there (on TV). It was a spooky feeling. Especially since there was a huge sign on the Dome that indicated that the building will be back in operation in September - "Go Saints!"
Then we noticed that various traffic lights throughout town did not work. So, we proceeded with caution.

The French Quarter seems to be mainly suffering from a hangover from last week's Mardi Gras celebration...lots of streamers stuck in tree branches & condom wrappers in the streets (see photo above).

I will let yinz know how my first day of volunteer work goes tomorrow...I have orientation in one hour.

P.S. For lunch, I scarfed dahn some red beans & rice with sausage. Yummy! Washed that dahn with two Abita Ambers & pow: Energized Dice.

No comments: