Monday, November 07, 2005

The First Rule of Fight Club is...

When I was a wee 1L on my second day of Pitt Law orientation, a 2L bequeathed to me an amazingly important piece of advice. As a matter of fact, it may have been the most crucial piece of advice that I have ever been fortunate enough to receive.
And the very, very few times that I have violated this rule, I have always felt like a complete assmunch. So, Pete Smith (St. Louise de Marillac 8th grade class of 1993 & Peters Twp. H.S. class of 1997), wherever you are, thank you for passing along the Golden Rule of Law School.

The Golden Rule of Law School is: don’t fuck/hook up/make out with other law students.
The only exception is if you believe that your insalubriousness will result in a long-term thing/marriage.
It may sound matronly, but it is tried and true. At first, I thought that this was a ridiculous suggestion. But, as time has passed, I have seen how this rule has prevented many awkward situations. Not unlike today.

The Second Rule of Law School is: keep drinking and it’ll all be over soon. (That's my own personal advice.)

1 comment:

emily said...

"not unlike today"... ah, dice!

lately, a friend described the law school as "barco high", which is so apt. and embarrassing for all of us involved, really.

at least, though, per your second rule of law school, we're all old enough now (as opposed to high school) to legally purchase the alcohol to keep us drinking through the shenanigans, even if we may not all yet be old enough/mature enough to have the sense to know better!