Thursday, January 12, 2006

Bioterrorism in the South Side

Here are my body temps over the past 20 hours:
6pm - 101.2 F
8pm - 100.8 F
11pm - 99.1 F (looking good, right?)
2:30am - 103.8 F

This is the moment where I freaked. I was going to call a PCP this morn when I got up, but I was afraid that I had already fried/boiled the portion of my brain that holds the law school info. KB came over after finishing his shift & whisked me to the venerable SoufSide Hospital ER.

There, my temp was only 102.2 F, but I was diagnosed with strep throat. I am on penicillin (such a throw-back, old-school antibiotic) & Tylenol to keep my brain from additional sizzling. I usually balk at the thought of taking anitbiotics, as our collective overuse
over the years has made them quite ineffective. But, I am a desperate woman who would like to sleep more than three hours at a time & not wake up feeling as though I have pissed the bed (with sweat, of course).

So, today I ventured out of the house for the first time in two point five days (excepting the ER visit) to fill my 'script & get some commercial fluids other than water. It is such a beautiful day! And I am so sick. Gawd. Anyway, as grumpy as I am after four days of sweating, everyone in the outside world seemed like an asshole. A 20-year-old driving a Lexis parking in the handicap spot at CoGos. Cars running the light at the Birmingham Bridge...almost hitting pedestrians. And the dude in line behind me at CoGos. I was trying to buy 2 blue Powerades, 2 OJs, 1 Swanson's Turkey Pot Pie & some smokes (bad for me, I know). So, I have all my shit on the counter & am paying & this dude has to get all up in my personal space to place his 1 pint of box tea on the counter. It's not like he had his hands full. He didn't say "excuse me." And he was waaay to close for comfort, especially since the person who's been in closest contact with me over the sickness was Dr. John Kim, ER doc. I've been monitoring my contact with others in a effort to be considerate. So, I almost licked his iced tea. Tainted it forver with my bacterial infection. This makes me a bioterrorist, doesn't it? (Ha, DOJ & you lousy "sources of intelligence", thought you were goin' to get a serious lead off this post, didn'tcha?)

Be warned. For the next 24 hours, I have a strong bacterial weapon in my command. If you cross me, I will lick you where it counts. And you will be the one stuck at home, miserable & blogging about it.

Roar.

No comments: