Monday, January 23, 2006

Five-Star Day, Courtesy of the Steelers




I know you know, but hey, "Pittsburgh's Goin' to Da Super Bowl"...and you also know that you sang that line with many friends and strangers at the top of your lungs last night. In the streets & in the bars. And it was FINALLY a fact! We've been singing abaht it for a freeking decade. And it became a fact last night, Super Bowl XL, a fact supported beyond a reasonable daht. Fuck. Yeah!

It's our first trip to the Super Bowl in 10 years. I remember that game, um Super Bowl XXX (Quick query, why do we get some of the coolest adjectives you could spell with Roman numerals each time we make it to the big game?) versus the eeevil Dallas Cowboys, with Neil O'Donnell at the helm. We lost. I was a junior at Upper St. Clair High School at the time.

Back to the current sweetness. Everything about yesterday rocked. From getting up & putting the (preliminary) finishing touches on my new Steelers scarf I've been crocheting to seeing Mayor Bob O'Connor at the blocked off intersection of E. Carson & 18th, hanging aht with the cops, having a blast.

Oh, and the game. The Steelers were so convincing with every play. We rocked the third-down conversions, changed up the passing game by relying on Cedric Wilson & scared the pants off of Fake Plummer. Did you see this man huffing oxygen in the 4th quarter?
Dude, you LIVE in Denver. Man up. Even the refs threw us a bone by overturning the Willie Parker "fumble." Leftover guilt from f-ing up last week? Maybe, but either way, we'll take it.

Following seven "SHOTS!!!!" & three IC Light pahnders, much victory dancing, hugging & singing at Jamie's haus, we took to the streets of the Soufside. As promised, the po-po were blocking E. Carson & getting into the celebration by high-fiving fans. Our aforementioned Mayor was sighted as we walked into the street & joined hundreds of other fans chanting & yelling in ecstacy outside of The Locker Room. After a bit, we rolled down to Tiki to meet up with friends who all had great stories to tell & a hearty appetite for alcohol. Just add more friendly faces, some dancing on the booths, singing along with the jukebox & stir. Everyone was in love with each other. Maybe it was just for the night. But it sure felt good.

The rest of the past 24 hours went dahn like this:
Went to bed at 5 am. Thanks guys.
Woke up at 7:45 am, still kinda drunk.
Rode 8:37 am 54C to Oakland.
Managed to get cash, pack of smokes, bagel & coffee all before 9 am.
Copyright Law, 9-9:50 am. While I was zoning aht/fantacizing about the Super Bowl, Madison points out that I am wearing a Bus jersey like the one in his slide...goes into policy argument as to why the photo should be protected. Selling jerseys, making moolah = incentive. OK, I'm paying attention now.
Enviro Litigation, 10-11:50 am. Oh yes, two hours of admin. procedure & the CWA. And I paid attention & asked 3 questions. Nice form, my good woman.
Celebratory hugs with Seesh, Andrew & Emily. Shit talking with the Speranz & Marc.
More feel good love.
Wendy's No. 2 Extra Value Menu...my favorite: Double burger, plain, no cheese. Fries & Coke, with a side of ranch dressing for dipping said burger & fries. An apt reward for such impressive punctuality & attendance today. While in line, a crazy, wasted man wearing a x-mas ornament dangly earring would not stop talking to me. He claimed that:
1. He was 18, but had a 41 year old daughter.
2. That he planned on drinking for two weeks solid...all the way to Detroit & the big game.
3. He was retired.
4. He was a Green Beret at one point in his life.
5. He won one million, two-hundred & eighty thousand U.S. dollars on the game yesterday.
6. He had asked every woman in Oakland to marry him.
7. Would I marry him?
And it was kinda funny, but he actually smelled more drunk than me. The line was long & when he finally got up to the counter, all he asked for was some ice for his water. Wow.

Lit a cig after the Wendy's gluttony & walked to the Atwood Bus Stop (Thanks, Bussy, we love you). Of course, the 59U came immediately. (Magic tip: Sick of waiting for a bus? Light a cig. Poof! The bus will come instantly.) It was raining, sure, but I really wanted to smoke that cig. So, I passed up the timely ride, smoked & people-watched. The 84A came a lil' while later & gave me a lift. So here I sit, home again, still in disbelief/in love with the fact that we are going to the Super Bowl, just as planned. For the Bus's (prolly) last game. Mama Bettis, we love you too.

Other notables/funny shit:

You've prolly already heard this, but we broke an NFL record for becoming the first number 6 seed to make it to the S.B. We knocked off the top three teams, on the road, in this order: 3-1-2.

Did you notice that the Broncos fans all had orange pom poms? Listen up, NFL teams:
You can't beat the Terrible Towel. Stop trying. Stop it. White (surrenderish) towels will not work, Indianapolis. Um, Denver, orange pom poms will also look extremely lame in the shadow of the visiting, but prevalent, Terrible Tahl. Please, please stop. Seattle, don't even think about it. You're on notice people.

Last night, a cop told T that she could do whatever she wanted, but just not set anything on fire. Please.

I attempted to make it onto the news on Carson St., behind some local news reporter, bouncing & screaming with about 20 other fans. The reporter & cameraman kept telling us to be quiet so that he could hear & report the "story"...we were too lahd. So, just when we had quieted dahn enough, another group of fans would spot the light on the camera & come running & screaming over. Then we would try to tell them to be "silent Steelers fans" & get the noise dahn again. Rinse & repeat, say four times.
T said it best, "It was like moths to a flame." Eventually, some guy came running over to the poor reporter & just jumped on his head in inebrieated exuberation. Amazing. After about 5 minutes, I gave up & walked back to find T. Soon thereafter I received a text that I had, indeed, made it onto the news...as a flash of the Dice. Sweet.

Andrew, as previously noted by Throck, said that yesterday's game was better than voting. Um, yeah, dude. It was waaaaaaaay better than voting (& having the election stolen from us twice. Consecutively.) You get huge props for your amazing dedication these past weeks. I love it. I love it. But, one thing: WTF is up with you only having to follow the Stees for, like, 5 weeks before getting to see them in the S.B.? I mean, like I said, I haven't seen that shit since high school! Lucky bastard.

I need a nap. I have been running on straight adrenaline for over 24 hours & my body is about to quit on me, so I'm gonna lie my ass dahn. I'm sure that I'll have more musings to share...

I know that we can do this. The elusive "one for the thumb." For real, this time. I want to see what it feels like for the Steelers to win a S.B. I was just months old in 1979 when we won our last one. Although I love my parents' stories about those days, I want my own generation to have a chance at making our own victorious memories.

Thank you, Steelers. You did it.

No comments: